The kitchen is the heart of the holiday home festivities. Its time to start making sure yours is up to the task.
I’m going to take you through some simple tasks over the next few weeks to help you get your kitchen cleaned up and easy to maintain through all the upcoming chaos.
The focus for this week will be initial clean up.
Every night –
Clear the dishes. Put all of the food away. Wash or put dishes in the dishwasher.
Wipe the table, counters and stove top.
Now, add 1 additional task each day –
- Clean the inside of the microwave. Put 2 cups of water in the microwave and put it on high for 2 minutes. The inside of the microwave should wipe down easily. Wipe down the outside. Bonus points for shining it up.
Meanwhile… dust the blinds, valances and light fixtures using a swifter or feather duster.
2. Wipe down the small appliances and anything else on the counters. Clean behind and underneath.
3. Wipe down the rangehood. Soak the filter in hot soapy water with Dawn and 1/4 cup white vinegar. After about 30 minutes, rinse and let dry before putting it back.
4. Wipe down the cabinets with Murphy’s Oil Soap and a terrycloth rag. If your cabinets are wood, make sure to wring the rag out well so you don’t get the wood too wet.
5. Clean the top of the fridge with warm water and Dawn. Once that is clean, clean the rest of the fridge exterior with the appropriate cleaner.
6. Do a good cleaning of the stove. Make sure to open the oven and broiler doors and clean the edges well.
7. Sweep or vacuum the floor. Take a bucket with warm water and Pine-sol or Mr. Clean and a scrub brush and clean the edges and corners. Then do a quick wash of the rest of the floor.
That’s not too bad, is it?
If your blinds, valances or light fixtures need more cleaning, make it a point to get to that this weekend.
See you next week with the next steps.