Summer is winding down. Its time to get out of our summer state of mind and back to some serious work.
The challenge this year is that we need to be able to pivot on a moments notice.
- The kids may or may not be in school.
- You may or may not have to commute to the office.
- We may or may not have company for the holidays.
- We may or may not be sick, or have a sick family member.
There's so much uncertainty, its driving us all crazy.
One thing that has always saved me has been my rituals. These simple habits kept my life from falling into total chaos.
My daughter was a micro-preemie. We had to haul equipment wherever we went.
At one point I had my mother in one hospital, my grandfather in another, my grandmother didn't drive, and I lived an hour away with my premature baby. Oh, and my husband was an alcoholic. Fun times...
More recently, I broke my wrist. Right arm of course. Then a month later i was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. I had surgeries and chemo for a year. My methods are so simple, I was still able to keep the house clean and healthy meals on the table.
See SuperWoman daily habits checklist and get your life in order.
Fall Chores -
Its time to think about the Fall Chores. Here in the Midwest, it looks like we better get our act together a little earlier this year. You can check your forecast here -
And if you're looking forward to the holidays, you can start knocking out a few things a little at a time so you won't be so stressed.
- Start cleaning out a cabinet or drawer every day
- Organize plastic containers and Organize your pots and pans
- Check packaged goods and spices for expiration dates. Fresher spices make your food taste better!
- Do a Kitchen Deep Clean
- Keep an eye out for gifts. Buying them a little at a time is easier on the budget, and you'll be done with a lot less stress!
This is when people start thinking about how their home looks, and updates they want to do before the holidays. I would not recommend anything that requires ripping out walls or refinishing wood floors this close to the holidays. I made that mistake once. Talk about stress!
If you want to do some redecorating without going bankrupt, see - Thought process behind a great decorating project on a budget
If you are planning on appliances or furniture - do it now! Do not wait and not be able to get it in time. My friend ordered a stove a few weeks ago and still doesn't have it, and its not near the holidays yet. Don't put it off.
The Girl Scout Motto - Always be prepared still applies.
True happiness comes from using your minutes wisely.